Warehouse Management & Physical Distribution
Warehouse Management and Physical Distribution are important flow control activities in the Logistics Management Function. Regardless of the efficiency with which all preceding activities have been conducted, these activities have major roles in determining the degree to which total customer satisfaction is achieved. In today's global business environment, the quality of warehousing and distribution management can have significant impact on corporate performance and profitability.
It is important that both direct and indirect employees involved in these activities fully understand their roles and indeed the consequences of substandard performance. The ability to co-ordinate internally as a team as well as with other internal functions is crucial to success.
During this program, participants will learn how to measure and evaluate warehouse operation performance to improve warehouse efficiency and personnel productivity.
They will gain fundamental training on the working practices, principles and procedure of effective distribution and warehouse management as it relates to their function.
INTRODUCTION WAREHOUSE OPERATION MANAGEMENT
• Identifying the importance of warehousing
• What are goals and objectives?
• Aligning the goals with organization goals
• Role & Responsibilities of warehouse personals/ Warehouse Personals qualities
• Agile warehousing and distribution concepts
• Lean warehousing and distribution concepts
KEY ACTIVITIES OF WAREHOUSE OPERATION
• The main functions (receiving, put-away, storage, picking, shipping)
• The impact and expect of each functions
• Strategy to control these function
• How to improve the activities toward cost reduction
WAREHOUSE SECURITY, HEALTH AND SAFETY
• The importance of security
• Responsibilities of store management in relation with warehouse security
• Security policies and control.
• Understanding Marking & labeling of stock
• Warning sign & notice
• Fire precautions
• Common causes of accident s in warehouse/store
WAREHOUSE FACILITY & LAYOUT PLANNING
• Choosing the right layout method
• Storage Capacity planning and space utilization
• Lean implementation
• Location control and system
• Location coding method/ Storage method
MATERIAL HANDLING SYSTEM
• Importance of material handling
• Type of material handling system in market.
• Selecting the right and appropriate MHE
• Packaging and method of handling
• The automated MHE
• Material handling & storage equipment
• Stock level setting
• Stock record mechanism RFID, VOP
• Common Causes of inaccurate records and stock discrepancies
• Stock take & cycle counting
• FIFO, LIFO
• Shelf life control
• Classification of inventory ABC, XYZ, HML, VED, SDE, FSN
MEASURING WAREHOUSE PERFORMANCE AND PRODUCTIVITY
• Why do we need to measure the performance?
• What to measure
• Setting objective (using SMART)
• Understanding the keys performance indicator
• Strategies to achieve the goal set
AUTOMATED WAREHOUSE AND DISTRIBUTION MANAGEMENT
• Role of Information Technology
• Value Added Services
• Simulation in optimizing design and processes
WAREHOUSING AND DISTRIBUTION STRATEGIES
• Key influencing factors
• Distribution Network design
• Demand Pooling
• Risk Pooling